Monday, October 1, 2012
Fresh Tomato Chili Recipe (no cans!)
Jeannine’s Fresh Tomato Chili (no cans!)
Ingredients: ½ to 1 lb ground beef
½ to 1 medium onion, diced
½ green pepper, diced
½ red pepper, diced
1 T minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
20 medium ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
1.5 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1t black pepper
1-2 cups cooked black beans (Ok, you can use a can if you want, but I cook my own dried beans)
½ c brown minute rice (or cooked rice)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Plain yogurt or sour cream
1. Put onions, garlic, and peppers in a large sauce pan. Add ground beef, cover and cook on medium-low heat until beef is no longer pink.
2. Add tomato wedges, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper, mix thoroughly.
3. Bring to boil, then simmer, covered for 30-60 minutes.
4. Just before serving add beans and rice. If rice is uncooked, let simmer about 10 minutes until rice is done
5. Serve in bowls with shredded cheese, and a dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream.