My kids are obsessed with putting things to sleep. Baby-dolls, Teddy Bears, stuffed animals, transformers - you name it and they will put it down for a nap! I ofter hear "Shhhhh, mom - my transformer is sleeping" So, I decided to make a sleeping bag for my daughter's barbie dolls.
This is a great beginning sewing project, so you can do this! . It also would be a great starter project to work on with a little sewer like your daughter (or grand-daughter, niece, friends kid...etc)
Here is what you will need:
Fabric: I recommend felt or flannel for that soft feel, but woven knit works too!
Stuffing/batting (just a little for the pillow)
Sewing machine with thread and other sewing tools (like scissors)
I used the same fabric for both the inside and outside of the sleeping bag, but you could totally mix it up and use different patterns together.
**All seam allowances are 1/4 inch**
1. Cut out your fabric. Cut two 12.5X6 rectangles and two 9.5X6 rectangles
2. Place right sides together and sew around 3 sides leaving the bottom side open.
3. Flip both rectangles right side out
4. In the longer rectangle put the stuffing in
5. Push the stuffing all the way to the top to form a pillow
6. Top Stitch across right under your stuffing to form the pillow shape.
7. With right sides together place the smaller rectangle on top of the larger rectangle with the unfinished edges both on the bottom. Starting 1-2inches down on one side, sew 3 sides like below.
8. Trim your corners and flip right side out.
And your done... Put your barbie down to sleep and tell everyone "Shhhhh- Barbie needs her beauty sleep!"
This would make a great add on for a girls gift!
And wouldn't it be fun to make it with your daughter to give to her friend?!