Oranges are one of my favorite fruits! I love the sweetness of a juicy orange. My favorite way to serve an orange is as a drink! Orange juice is my favorite juice to jump start my morning.
You cannot be a orange lover and not know the name Sunkist! Sunkist has some of THE BEST oranges!
When I am picking out my oranges at the grocery store I love to smell them! I recently learned some new information about Sunkist Valencia Oranges... They sometimes will re-green in warm weather, but they are still ripe!
Green is Good when it comes to Sunkist Valencia Oranges.
Sunkist® Valencia oranges may occasionally "re-green" in warm weather. When Valencias ripen on the tree, they turn a bright orange color but warm temperatures may make their skin reabsorb chlorophyll as they hang on the tree causing the orange color to look partly green—although the outside is green, the inside remains ripe and delicious!
Watch this video for more information: Sunkist Valencia Oranges Re-greening Video
Here is a fun recipe using Sunkist® Valencia oranges:
• 3 Sunkist® Valencia oranges, segmented and zested
• 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 lb. tub Bocconcini mozarella
• ¼ cup Opal (purple) basil, shredded into small pieces
• 20 whole wheat crackers
• Salt to taste
• ¼ cup fresh rosemary
• ¼ cup fresh thyme
• 1/8 cup fresh oregano
• 1 ½ cups extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. black pepper
Instructions: (Makes 10 servings)
• Cut the Bocconcini into halves.
• Zest the Valencia oranges using a micro plane or fine grater and set aside. To segment the oranges, cut off the top and bottom.
• Lay the orange on a flat surface, using a pairing knife remove the skin and white pith. Carefully cut and release each segment from between the membranes and set aside.
• In a blender, add the olive oil, orange zest and fresh herbs. Pulse until blended, continue to blend on medium speed until the herbs and zest are finely chopped, add the pepper and pulse quickly. Pour into a jar or plastic container. Leftover oil can be kept refrigerated for up to one month and used as a marinade for fish, poultry or vegetables.
• Toss the orange segments, cherry tomatoes, Bocconcini and basil lightly with ¾ cup of orange scented herb oil and season with salt.
• To Serve: Top each cracker with the mixture and serve.
Find additional Sunkist citrus recipes for more summer yumminess!
What are some of your favorite ways to eat oranges?