I found this really cute quilt at a consignment sale that I went to. I was very exited about it, until I opened up the bag that it was in and found it had a rip on one of the appliques...And the bias strip on the side was also ripped... they had folded it to hid the rips. I was pretty mad about it... that sneaky seller!
But I decided to make lemonade from lemons and made a valence from the quilt.
Here is what I used:
2 yards fabric
sewing machine with basic sewing tools (thread, scissors...etc)
I used an old valence to get an idea of length. I cut out the appliqued squares from the quilt (the ones that were not ripped) and also cut out 2 inch strips from my fabric to put in between the quilt squares. (each square was about 12 inches tall an the total length of the valence was about 56 inches long)
I also cut out a large rectangle of my fabric for the backing and casing. (that was about 20 inches by 56 inches)
I laid out all my squares and strips in the order that I wanted them.
I sewed all my squares and strips together (right sides together) to make on long rectangle for the front of my valence. I started at one end and worked my way down.
I then sewed my front (Quilt squares) to the back fabric on the top side (front sides together).
Now it looks like this:
I hemmed the sides by double folding the sides and sewing the finished edge.
Next, I sewed the back fabric to the front fabric on the bottom edge (right sides together)... to make a long tub.
I turned it right side out. The back fabric is larger then the quilt squares so there should be enough for a casing at the top. I ironed it.
I then created my casing for the rod to go through. I sewed a line through both layer of fabric.
All done and ready to hang up!
I am very happy with it!