Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How to Reuse Framed Art

Join the Garden Party! Have you done a project for or from the outdoors? In this project I am using pictures from my backyard!

I had this framed art hanging in my dinning room. It is not bad, but I am a little over the Tuscan decor that I had from when we moved into our house 7 years ago. We have decided to go with more of an Asian themed decor (Since we adopted our son from Korea). Tuscany's Alleys are in no way Asian themed, but this frame is still good.

My Dear Husband (DH) took these pictures of our lilacs from our back yard. If you want to know how to take great pictures click here)



So I thought I would replace the three pictures of the alleys with the three pictures of the flowers.

1.I removed the cardboard backing from the frame. Is used a needle nosed pliers and a screwdriver and some elbow grease to help with this step.

2.) I used the screwdriver to flip up all the staples holding the mat, pictures and backing in.

3.) This framed art had glued the print to the mat so I had to carefully rip them apart.

see the glue marks:


4.) my pictures did not cover the old pictures so I made some mats out of some scrapbook paper that I had. I used the old picture as a guide of where to place my new mats and pictures. I taped them into place once I was ready.

It is hard to see but this is the tape

5. I than placed the original mat back of top to make sure everything lined up correctly.

On the original mat, they had written Tuscany Alleyways #1 and on the other side the Photographer's name... since these were no longer alleyways I wanted to cover this part of the mat some how.


My DH came up with the great idea to cut out something nature-y to put in the corners. We found these two plants on some Asian themed scrapbook paper I had. DH used an X-Acto knife to get the nice close cuts and we measured to make sure that they would cover the words. We also like that it overlapped the pictures a bit... adds dimension I think!


6.) We placed the mat, pictures and backing back into the frame and pushed all the staples back down to keep them in place

7.) we also decided to remove the staples on the frame that held the cardboard backing in place as they would have probably scratched our walls!

DH wanted you all to know that he helped! : )

Finally we hung it back on the wall! I think it looks pretty great!

5 comments :

Kim said...

I loved the proof of how your hubby helped. Too funny! You did a great job repurposing the frame. And I love that you used photos of your own lilacs.

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Nice transformation! So fun recycle our own things!

Annette said...

Very nice indeed. The paper cut outs were a nice touch.

LillyShayStyle said...

I love the new look better ;)

Kimba said...

What a great idea! I love the end result!

Kimba

Content Ad